Monday, March 28, 2011

keep it simple, 'cause simple is good

a couple weeks ago carolyn was learning how to play this song on the guitar (be warned: the video is a little scandalous):
the song itself is really beautiful, but my favorite part is the line that says "we'll keep it simple, 'cause simple is good." i mean, i'm sure ry cuming is talking specifically about love, which i also agree with. there are enough crazy things going on with love that if you try to keep it as simple as possible it seems you'd be better off.

but it also struck me that i need to work more to keep it simpler in my life in general. i get so caught up in all the things that are happening in my life that i forget about what is really important in life. during one of our many late night conversations this week, carolyn and i got on this very topic: what is our goal for life? when it comes down to it, how much does it really matter how this one paper goes or how this lesson on the rhetorical situation goes or whether i go out or stay in on a saturday night? really, i want to do things in life that make me happy and make me feel good. of course, i'm not talking about bacchanalian/hedonistic pleasure seeking or something like that. but i want to fill my life with things that really matter to me, not things that i don't care about a whole lot.

this is not a roundabout way of announcing that i am quitting school. for the most part, i do enjoy school. there are certain things about it that make me really happy. but there are other things i need to be doing that would also bring joy into my life and a smile to my face, and those don't necessarily have to be really complicated, really obscure things.

i mean, the title of my blog is all about simplicity (obviously). so, i'm all for keeping it simple these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment