Thursday, August 16, 2012

to my girl friends

as some of you know, i have been rather stressed for the past few weeks about the changes that are coming up in my life. good friends are moving out, new people are moving in, summer is ending, school is starting again, real life must resume. i am bad with change, i have realized. i've been dreading this period of time for weeks. i know that once i get into the swing of things, i'll be okay, but in the meantime i am emotionally drained from all the anxiety i've been feeling. today i was feeling especially melancholy, which feeling culminated in a tearful breakdown in the car.

but then, today, i had an epiphany.

i have great girl friends.

i had conversations with four of my favorite girls all throughout the day today, and all of the conversations were meaningful (if sometimes...hypothetical. or--what would you say, emily? anatomical?) and uplifting. i have great girl friends.

and all of these girls will still be here in the fall. all of them, in fact, will be around during this transition period when i know i will be a crying wreck sometimes. and all of them will be there to help me through it to the other, more hopeful, and more realistic, side, even if they don't know that's what they are doing for me. and i want them to know that i will be there for them, too. i will do my best to be the uplifting, caring, awesome friend they have all been to me.

obviously, it would be great to have a boy to come home to every day to share all of my anxieties with. and sometimes those things still slip out when a boy is around. but how grateful i am to be surrounded by beautiful, smart, level-headed, like-minded, funny women at this time of my life. i love you girls.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love this! I love you! I love that we're friends :)

    ReplyDelete