Tuesday, March 27, 2012

in nature

the other day, as i was walking home from campus, i decided to take a detour to a bench on the south campus trail because 1) it was a glorious day and 2) i've been feeling in need of some time to ponder.

it was a bit of a struggle, though, to resist the urge to take out something to work on, if only to write in my journal. but i resolved to be alone with my thoughts and the world around me, which sometimes included the occasional walker or jogger or, in one case, campus policeman.

i too often feel the need to be busy doing something. i learned at a young age that i should always bring some source of entertainment with me wherever i go (this usually means a book), just in case there is some unexpected down time and i need something to do. i can't tell you how many times this has saved me from boredom or, on the other hand, how many times i have rued the fact that i didn't bring a book or a deck of cards or, at the very least, a piece of paper and a pen.

so, i have conditioned myself to always have something occupying my time. at home, it's my computer or my journal, usually. out and about, it's a book or my journal. or sometimes, like now, i go through crossword phases and have my handy crossword anthology with me at all times. but this day last week i just let my thoughts wander.

i don't think i had any epiphanies or anything of that nature, but i was able to remember, or maybe just recognize once again after some hard days, how amazing this world is and how blessed i am to be here in provo having these experiences. not only could i hear the gurgling of the stream a couple feet away from me, i could also feel the sun on my face and look up at these beautiful mountains which i always seem to take for granted and listen to the birds whistling and observe the newly-growing leaves fluttering in the breeze.

it was magnificent. happy spring once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment